Friday, March 03, 2006

Random ramblings for a Friday afternoon

For those of you that got a message or comment posted about the site today, please look at this post & thanks for stopping by. Or just keep on reading this post.

One more source for getting the word out I attended a Cultural Alliance workshop last night and learned something as a result of some additional research. Their new website, activeculture.info does provide for civic clubs to post their meeting dates on the site. The site has also become the official arts and culture site for the Birmingham News. A search of the site showed that no organization currently uses it to publicize their meetings. The multi-faceted approach that was mentioned here earlier this week includes using new vehicles for getting the information out. It is somewhat surprising that groups have not explored this avenue as of yet. Many of these groups are in fact open to a wide array of people that do not know of their existence when they first arrive here in town. Hopefully, some of the groups that I’ve been trying to list will begin to use this resource in addition to the methods that they already use.

Come on out and dance tonight The ability to live in a town where you’re upset that there’s too much to do is something that I’m grateful for. There are many people that may disagree with the first part of that statement, but I’d say that you’re not really looking for something to do. For example, I’m not saying that I’ll be dancing, but it should be a lot of fun tonight at the Rotaract Club event that I mentioned in an earlier post. You can always eat some wings and then dance to some swing music at the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame, watch films that competed in the most recent Sidewalk Scramble and that would only get you through until Saturday morning and just be what’s happening downtown. And if you can’t afford the $100 ticket dinner tonight with John Waters (like me) you can always go and see his photography on Saturday as well.

The ability to see a city morph and change is something that few people really pay attention to while it’s happening. The appreciation happens after some time later. This is a great time to be in town, if only to say, “I was here when…” after the next wave of transplants and natives come to roost. Those that wait for a city to become hip and cool are missing out on the opportunity to help shape how it can be that way for others. I know that it’s always a matter of not paying attention to what’s going on in your own back door. As a New Yorker, I’m very guilty of that habit. I’m trying to make a conscious effort to not fall into that same trap here. I figure now’s as good a time to enjoy it as any.

Some random links Click here to view information about the upcoming Relay for Life event in Leeds/Moody and learn how you can support the Jaycees in their fund raising efforts.

Click here to view the still morphing list of young professional organizations as I’m still hoping people may have some information for me. Click here if you have something happening in a different town that’s similar and you want to see it on this list.

And finally, thanks to the guys at Homewood Musical Instrument Co. for fixing my classical guitar so I can play it again. Just playing around with it should keep me busy enough for the week. Enjoy.

Cheers.

No comments: